"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." - Bilbo Baggins

Monday, March 2, 2009

For a Friend

Ok, well I haven't blogged like I said. I am hoping to change that. Today was a pretty sad day for me. For the last year a good friend of mine has laid in a bed suffering from seizures, strokes, infections, just a poor way of life all due to brain surgery he had last March. Jerry had a benign brain tumor that grew and grew until it started to effect him in some serious ways. After the brain surgery it has been extremely rough for his family, wife and two sons. What really tears my heart apart is that two men at an age where they need their daddy the most have had to say goodbye and see what once was their father waste away. Today they decided it was time to remove the feeding tubes, why? Well it was just time. I don't know how long he will live but I will tell you this the Lord has spoken to me through this situation. Those two boys need a mentor they need men to help them through. I just finished a book called King Me by Steven Farrar, wow what a book. It opened my eyes that my single most important role in this life is that of a father. I am the mentor to my three sons. How I live my life is how they will see the Father in Heaven. Whoa huge responsibility. While I cannot be a dad to Jerry's two boys I can help. As a Christian that is what I am called to do, to serve. There is so much more that can be said. Meanwhile I will pray and I will celebrate and I will grieve the life of Jerry Pryor, great guitar player, a God follower and my friend.

No comments: