"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." - Bilbo Baggins

Thursday, September 3, 2009

What is worship?

I have been involved at some level in "worship leading" for the past 17 years or so and lately there has been been a stirring in my heart with regard to worship. As I have walked out my journey of healing these last couple of years the Lord has really "reset" my focus through scripture reading and through prayer. Honestly after things kind of came to a head in 2006 I became disenchanted with "worship" as we know it. So why do I keep putting the word worship in quotes? Well I have found that many Christians define worship as what happens on a Sunday morning or during a prayer meeting. That is true, that is worship, it is a form of worship; however one should ask is that the kind of worship God is looking for? Take a look at Psalm 40:6. It states: "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but my ears you have pierced." Also take a look at Psalm 51. Read that whole psalm. Notice what is states in Psalm 51:16, 17: "You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." Pretty interesting. I have been in many churches where music was the centerpiece of the service, where performance and how things look and sounded were more important than peoples heart. Don't get me wrong, music has its place; however it is but a small portion of what our walk with the Lord should be. It is but the preparation for entering into the Temple, are we more interested in prepping to enter the Temple or the Temple itself? I see the Lord reshaping me in worship, in what worship really is. True worship, is John 4:21-24, true sacrifice is a broken heart. Lord, keep my heart broken before you. This is a journey for me... stay tuned.

No comments: